1 The waters available for fishing are the four lakes – Ogwen, Bochlwyd, Idwal and Ffynnon Lloer and those parts of the river Ogwen that lie between Pont y Pandy, Halfway Bridge and Pontwr and from Pont Ceunant, Tŷ’n y Maes to Ogwen Lake including all the tributaries that fall into these parts of the river.
2 The minimum size of fish allowed to be caught and kept measured from snout to fork of tail are as follows:-
Trout – Eight inches (200 mm)
Sea trout – Ten inches (250 mm)
Salmon – Twelve inches (300 mm)
3 The deliberate foul hooking of a fish is an offence.
If a fish is foul hooked then it should be returned to the water as soon as possible with the minimum damage to it.
4 No angler may fish a pool for more than twenty minutes after the approach of another angler who has expressed a wish to fish the pool and waits there to do so.
5 Spinning on the river is prohibited when the water level is below the white lines to be seen on the bridges and rocks. This rule may be disregarded after October 7 but you must use a spinner with a hook equivalent to a size 4 Mepp or less. A “flying C” must be 10gm or less and no weight at all on the line.
6 The use of weights within 18 inches (450 mm) of the hook is prohibited.
7 Spinning of any kind during hours of darkness is prohibited.
8 Ffynnon Lloer is designated fly only. The use of floats and spinning tackle of any description on the lake and Afon Lloer is prohibited.
9 The use of maggots and ground baiting is not allowed on any of the lakes. On the rivers maggots are only allowed in conjunction with artificial fly and fishing between one hour before sunset and one hour after sunrise.
10 Only 4 fish are to be caught and kept per day on Llyn Ogwen. Members are requested to stop fishing after catching and keeping four fish. The Association’s bailiffs and Committee members have the right to check the bags and cars of members, after producing identification, and any person refusing will have their membership revoked.
11 The use of a float tube on any of the waters is strictly forbidden.
12 All anglers must produce a current licence and permit when asked to do so by any member who can show proof of membership or other authority or by the Association’s or Environment Agency’s bailiff. Any person refusing to do so will be asked to leave the waterside and will have their membership revoked.
13 The Association cannot be held responsible for any accident, mishap or injury sustained by anglers while fishing or while using the paths, boats and stiles in the vicinity of the rivers and lakes.
14 Anglers are requested to respect the rights of landowners and tenants by keeping to the recognized paths along the riverbanks and to ensure that all gates are closed and secure after use. They must not be accompanied by a dog and must not cause damage to stiles, fences etc. Do not park cars on private land without the permission of the landowner.
15 All litter must be taken away from the waterside.
- 16. After 30 September on that part of the river Ogwen from Pont Ceunant, Tŷ’n y Maes up to Llyn Ogwen fishing for salmon is allowed fly only with any salmon caught returned to the water alive and without delay.
17 Members must observe and adhere to the separate rules concerning use of the boats on Llyn Ogwen. These are displayed in the boat house and are available at the Ogwen Falls Café when purchasing a boat permit.
18 Fishing is prohibited in Llyn Ogwen from an hour after sunset to an hour before sunrise
19 The selling of any fish caught in the Association’s waters is prohibited
20 An individual can assist a member of the Association with their fishing by permission of the Committee only.
21 Individuals are expected to behave in a responsible manner whilst in the vicinity of the Association’s waters. Members are not allowed to interfere with the fish or anglers in any way.
22 If a member breaks one of the Association’s rules then they are liable to have their membership revoked and may be liable to prosecution and their name will be included on the Genweirwyr Gwynedd Stop List. The individual concerned will not be allowed to reapply for membership for a period of time which will be decided by the Committee. Once this period of time has elapsed a written request must be made for renewal of membership. The Association reserves the right to refuse the request.
The boats on Llyn Ogwen are available for hire by adult members with a season permit only.
Conditions for hiring of boats
- The Association will not be held responsible for any injury to, loss of life of the hirer or his/her companion.
- The hirer will be held responsible for the boat and It’s accessories, and any damage until his/her successor takes over such responsibility.
- Only members of the Association are allowed to hire the boats and use the boathouse facilities. No unauthorised persons are allowed in the boathouse. No unauthorised persons are permitted to use the boats or boathouse.
- The hirer should satisfy himself/herself that a previous hirer has not damaged the boat. Any damage should be reported to the Association’s Secretary forthwith.
- No more than 2 persons allowed on the two larger boats.
- No more than 1 person allowed on the small, red fíbreglass boat
- Boats to be returned to the Boathouse and lifted 36″ above the surface of the water and properly secured, as they were found. All doors locked and bolted and the key retumed to the Ogwen Falls Café. If the café is closed the keys can be left with a member of staff in the Youth Hostel adjacent to the Ogwen Falls Café.
- In the event of the hirer being unable to adhere to Rule 5, the Boat is to be hauled on dry ground and properly secured, the oars and rowlocks to be returned to the Boathouse and the fact reported to the Secretary.
- No means of anchorage is allowed on any of the boats, but the use of a suitable drogue is permitted.
- No children under the age of 16 may hire a boat.
- A hirer cannot transfer the boat to another hirer.
- No spinning or trawling allowed from the boat.
- Lifejackets to be wom at all times. These must be provided by the boat users.
- No petrol or diesel engines allowed on the boats whatsoever.
- Electric motors may be used providing that the batteries are ofthe sealed type.
- The safety of all hirers is paramount! Please do not take unnecessary risks and plan adequately.